Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19, 2011

Hey!

Things are pretty great here. It lightly rained here last night. That's about it weather wise. Its just sunny and hot. We have an opportunity to work in gardens around here. They grow brocolli here. Huge fields of it. Brocolli in large quantities smells exactly like crap. A lot of it.

Well good and bad news, the lady that was going to be baptized on Calebs birthday slipped on the Word of Wisdom so she has to be baptized this weekend. So she'll be baptized the same day Caleb becomes a teacher. She asked me to play the piano at her baptism and she asked me to confirm her. I'm super nervous. I've given blessings and things but never confirmed anyone, espescially in front of a sacrament meeting with over 300 people. There's going to be two baby blessings and a confirmation that day.

There's a ton of junk in my room. I don't even remember what it was all for. I guess it will be easier to chuck it when I'm unpacking it than trying to decide what to chuck while packing. Whatever value it had will probably be gone by the time I get home. It's crazy that I've been gone almost two and a half months. I'm officially not a greenie anymore. Transfers are today but I'm staying with Elder Perkins and Elder Mortenson. I get to kill two missionaries at once! (Send them home) It's awesome. Elder Perkins and Elder Mortenson were MTC companions so it's cool that they get to serve together in their last transfer. 

As for the package, could you send more milks? I gave mine away to some children we're teaching. And we've been having a lot of fun with those little baseball things. They make good prank things. Oh, could you send a USB card reader? That would be awesome! I could email you pictures that way. I've got some printed out that I'm going to send, but emailing will be cheaper because we have to print them out at Wal-Stupid or something. There were other things I thought of during the week. A tie hanger would be nice. My ties are currently... everywhere. I've acquired many ties here. The thrift stores are full of them. I can't remember the other things I thought of.

What time would be a good time for me to call on Mother's Day? They asked us to start making arrangments now. We have church from 9-12 and from 1-4. So the evening would work better for me. But we could arrange something else if we need to. If i remember right you are on the 9 schedule?

Missionary Month is awesome! I've got them beat though. I'm doing Missionary 2 years. So there. I know about sleep headaches though. All of our neighbors are partiers, Elder Mortenson likes to sleep with a fan on, Elder Perkins sleeps with the window open, and I'm in the middle of two snorers. I haven't been sleeping well either. The only thing I can tell Caleb is trust the Lord that it will work out. I've started sleeping with one of those eye cover things and with ear plugs in. One awesome thing to do is to read the scriptures by topic. Go to the Topical Guide and pick a subject you want to study. For example: I studied the Godhead this morning. I found some awesome scriptures that refute the Trinity concept. John 1:1 says In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God. But from 1 John 4:7 we learn that there are three how testify in the heavens. God, The Word (Christ), and the Holy Ghost. So John 1 is talking about Christ being a god(not being God) and being with God(the Father), not the whole Trinity junk. Then I read the Bible Dictionary under "God" which goes through the Godhead. Something awesome I learned is that God is only omnipresent through the Holy Ghost. So the question now is: How is God going to be omnipresent when the Holy Ghost is on earth receiving a body? One possible answer is that it will happen during the Millenium when Satan is bound and Christ is personally reigning on earth.

I really liked that chinese proverb quote. Thanks for supporting me as I'm out working in the field.

I love and miss you guys,

Elder J. Garth Mortensen

P.S. anyone who reads this can write me. I wouldn't mind getting letters at all. I promise that I'll get back to you eventually

P.P.S. Did caleb and josh get the birthday things I sent them?

No comments:

Post a Comment